- About Us
- All Members
- Bentley University
- Boston College
- Boston University
- Brandeis University
- Marine Biological Laboratory and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Northeastern University
- State Library of Massachusetts
- Tufts University
- University of Connecticut
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- University of Massachusetts Boston
- University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
- University of Massachusetts Lowell
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- University of New Hampshire
- University of Rhode Island
- Wellesley College
- Williams College
- All Members
- Heads of Resource Management
- Associate University Librarians
- Access Services
- Alma/Primo Collaboration Working Group
- Continuing Resources and Metadata Management
- e-Book Working Group
- Government Documents
- Health Sciences
- Open Education Resources
- Resource Sharing
- Science Direct
- Special Collections
- Alma Resource Management System
BLC Leads 2018
With the successful completion of the inaugural BLC Leads Leadership Institute in 2017, we are pleased to announce that applications are open for the 2018 BLC Leads leadership program.
BLC Leads is a 6-month, multi-faceted program to prepare library professionals who demonstrate leadership potential to take on increasingly demanding roles in BLC libraries. The program supports talent management and succession planning efforts by creating experiences for library professionals to learn with and from seasoned library and higher education leaders and each other.
We are now seeking nominations and applications for the 2018 BLC Leads Leadership Institute. The application is available here. BLC library professionals interested in applying should contact their supervisor and director before submitting an application. The application process will close on Friday, March 30th.
The BLC Leads program includes a blend of in-person and virtual sessions over a 6-month period, providing an opportunity for the group to develop as a cohort and continue the momentum of the program. Site visits offer each participant an understanding of leadership and management initiatives and structures at other BLC institutions. The major experiences include:
- An initial orientation meeting in conjunction with Networking Day – May 30th
- An opening three-day in-person institute June 19-21 with DeEtta Jones as instructor (for a preview of DeEtta see her here on YouTube)
- Online facilitated discussions and webinars related to issues and trends most pressing for current and future library and higher education leaders held July through October - we are currently anticipating a session with Roger Schonfeld, Director, Libraries and Scholarly Communications at Ithaka S&R and Mark Puente, Director of Leadership and Diversity Programs at ARL as speakers
- On-site visits with BLC Institution Directors and Management Teams - each participant will be able to visit 2-3 BLC member libraries
- A two-day in-person closing institute November 14-15, also with DeEtta Jones as instructor.
The design of BLC Leads allows a manageable commitment of travel funds and time away from work and family. Tuition is $2,500, which includes hotel rooms for the two in-person institutes, continental breakfast, and lunch each day as well as an evening reception at each event. Also included are all program printed and online materials as well as real-time and archive access to the virtual learning sessions.
Selection decisions will be made by a committee of BLC AUL/AD’s. In addition to the applicant criteria, the committee will consider the overall diversity of the cohort, including cultural and professional backgrounds, years of experience, and range of institutions represented.
Strong candidates will be emerging leaders that:
- Have demonstrated ability to lead, with strong potential and commitment for continued leadership in libraries and higher education
- Are able to commit to participating in all program elements
- Are currently employed in a BLC library.
Reminder: the application for BLC Leads 2018 is here and is due by March 30, 2018.