- About Us
- All Members
- Bentley University
- Boston College
- Boston University
- Brandeis University
- Marine Biological Laboratory and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Northeastern University
- State Library of Massachusetts
- Tufts University
- University of Connecticut
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- University of Massachusetts Boston
- University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
- University of Massachusetts Lowell
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- University of New Hampshire
- University of Rhode Island
- Wellesley College
- Wesleyan University
- Williams College
- Internet Archive
- All Members
- For Librarians and Library Staff
- Professional Development
- For Students, Scholars, & Researchers
- Heads of Resource Management
- Heads of Resource Sharing
- Associate University Librarians
- Access Services
- Alma/Primo Collaboration Working Group
- Archives and Special Collections
- Continuing Resources and Metadata Management
- Controlled Digital Lending Working Group
- e-Book Working Group
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Government Documents
- Health Sciences
- Open Education Resources
- Resource Sharing
- Science and Engineering
- Past BLC Communities
- Controlled Digital Lending Steering Committee
Expanding Knowledge Webinar: Writing and Assessing Learning Outcomes for Library Instruction
Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 10:00am
The BLC is pleased to announce the September webinar in our Expanding Knowledge Webinar Series "Writing and Assessing Learning Outcomes for Library Instruction" with Dianne Brown, Social Science Research and Instruction Librarian and Jennifer Ferguson, Team Lead, Arts & Humanities Research & Instruction, both at Tufts University, on Thursday, September 13th at 10am.
As we approach the busiest time of the year for library instruction, please join Dianne and Jennifer for an introduction to backwards design, writing measurable learning outcomes, and choosing appropriate assessment instruments. Whether you are new to teaching, have been teaching for many semesters, or are just curious about what teaching librarians do, this webinar will provide practical approaches to planning for teaching and assessment. We welcome library staff who teach in any context, from first-year instruction, to subject-based classes, to non-traditional workshops. Join us to get useful teaching tips you can apply right away!
Learning outcomes for this webinar are:
- After this webinar, attendees will be able to write a measurable learning outcome within a library instruction context.
- After this webinar, attendees will be able to map a learning outcome to an appropriate assessment instrument.
- After this webinar, attendees will be able to identify the importance of backwards design when planning library instruction.
About the Presenters:
Dianne N. Brown has worked as the Social Science Research & Instruction Librarian at the Tisch Library at Tufts University for two years. Prior to working at Tufts, Dianne was a Research & Instruction Librarian at Lesley University. She holds an M.Ed with a concentration in online teaching and learning from Lesley University and an M.S. LIS from Drexel University. Her background in early and elementary education has developed into a lifelong commitment to constructivist educational practice. She considers herself a teacher first, and a librarian second.
Jennifer S. Ferguson is the Team Lead for Arts & Humanities, at the Tisch Library at Tufts University. Prior to working at Tufts, Jennifer was the Liaison Librarian for Arts, Humanities, and Careers at Beatley Library, Simmons College, and the lead reference librarian at Regina Library, Rivier University. She holds a BA from UCLA, an MA from Rutgers University, and an MSLIS from Simmons College. Her book, Using Authentic Assessment in Information Literacy Programs, will be published by Rowman & Littlefield in September 2018.
Please contact Mei Mendez if you have any questions or suggestions for future Expanding Knowledge Webinars.