- About Us
- All Members
- Bentley University
- Boston College
- Boston University
- Brandeis University
- Marine Biological Laboratory and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Northeastern University
- State Library of Massachusetts
- Tufts University
- University of Connecticut
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- University of Massachusetts Boston
- University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
- University of Massachusetts Lowell
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- University of New Hampshire
- University of Rhode Island
- Wellesley College
- Wesleyan University
- Williams College
- All Members
- Heads of Resource Management
- Associate University Librarians
- Access Services
- Alma/Primo Collaboration Working Group
- Continuing Resources and Metadata Management
- e-Book Working Group
- Government Documents
- Health Sciences
- Open Education Resources
- Resource Sharing
- Science Direct
- Special Collections
The Boston Library Consortium is seeking nominations and applications for the inaugural “BLC Leads” leadership program. BLC Leads is a 6-month multi-faceted program that prepares library professionals who demonstrate leadership potential to take on increasingly demanding roles in BLC libraries. The program is designed with input from library directors and associate directors to support talent management and succession planning efforts by creating experiences for library professionals to learn with and from seasoned library and higher education leaders and each other.
For this inaugural program, library directors will select participants from their libraries, so interested staff should speak with their supervisor and director before submitting an application. The application deadline is February 28, 2017.
BLC Leads is practically designed, allowing for a manageable commitment of travel funds and time away from work and family. A blend of in-person and virtual sessions provides the opportunity for the group to develop as a cohort and continue the momentum of the program without incurring additional travel costs and days away from work. The site visits give each participant an understanding of leadership and management initiatives and structures at other BLC institutions.
BLC Leads engages participants in six major experiences over a 6-month period:
- An initial orientation meeting in conjunction with Networking Day on Tuesday, May 30th at Brandeis University
- An opening three-day in-person institute being held June 7 -9 at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, MA
- Online facilitated discussions and webinars related to issues and trends most pressing for current and future library and higher education leader running from July through October
- A two-day closing institute being held November 2-3 at the UMass-Amherst Conference Center in Amherst, MA
The tuition for BLC Leads is $2,500 per person. Tuition fees cover hotel rooms for the two in-person institutes, continental breakfast and lunch each day and an evening reception at each event. Also included are all program printed and online materials, and real-time and archive access to the virtual learning sessions. Additional costs include travel and dinner each evening.
Strong candidates will be emerging leaders that:
- Have demonstrated ability to lead and strong potential and commitment for continued leadership in libraries and higher education
- Are able to commit to participating in all program elements
- Are currently employed in a BLC library.
Selection decisions will be made by a committee of BLC AUL/AD who have been active in the BLC Workforce Development TaskForce. In addition to the applicant criteria, the committee will consider the overall diversity of the cohort, including cultural and professional backgrounds, years of experience and range of institutions represented. The formal application will be made available from this site soon.
Further details on the BLC Leads are available here.
To apply for BLC Leads, please see the application information here. Application deadline is February 28, 2017.